Saturday, September 13, 2008

Where do you serve?

On Friday, I was given the opportunity to serve either at the Habitat House, or with the shelter down at the church, for people evacuating Galveston due to Hurricane Ike. I chose to go down and work the Habitat House. A group of four of us, Tammi, Steve, Eric, and myself worked on roof decking together. We also did some blocking. Other people worked on installing windows, and siding.

I enjoyed working at the Habitat House, especially with the group of people I was with. We made a positive and encouraging team, making sure to say things such as "good job", "high-five", and "way to go" as we were working with one another! Everybody likes encouragement along the way! I don't know which would have been the "better" choice, but it looks like I might have another opportunity to work the shelter on Monday, if people are still evacuated.

Funny, but true story. As I was climbing down the ladder, off of the roof, at the end of the day, I hit my knee! I have a pretty bruise now.

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

Where to serve...that's always a good question! I'm glad that you had a good time and remained relatively safe doing habitat! Tell Tami Hi for me! :)