Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Brain MRI/MRA w/ and w/o contrast

My Brain MRI/MRA w/ and w/o contrast was by far one of the easier tests for me. I am getting used to different tests, scans, and bloodworks. My appointment was set for 2:25pm--I was seen at 2:23pm to begin the process of the scans--impressive.
  • I was smart and wore no jewelry (except for my watch, which I did have to take off). I was also sure to wear a dress, with a built in bra...that meant I did not have to wear a gown!
  • Once in the room, I laid down on the sliding bed, placing my head on a raised platform with a pillow. The technician made sure that my head was facing straight up, and then he put something over my head. When I looked up, I could see right through the cage looking thing, and I could not turn my head, so what it looked like on the sides, I have no clue. Perceptions can be nice. Luckily, I am not claustrophobic like my mother. Being in the machine was not a problem for me.
  • The bed moved my upper body into the machine and test started. I just laid there. I laughed at one point, becasue the sounds are so funny! I felt like I was in the middle of a rap movie.
  • They had to redo that set of scans. Oops! :( Laughing makes the brain move and I was supposed to lay still.
  • After what felt like an eternity of laying still, 14 cc's of gadolinium (contrast), was injected intravenously. I did not cry! I took it in my body. Unlike the abdominal MRI, this time the gadolinium was painful to my elbow, but did not make my entire body go flush. It was a much lesser amount used, and injected at a much slower rate.
  • The scans continued and after a while longer, I was done. For the next two days, my elbow was sore off and on, and my muscles were incredible sore from the gadolinium. Oh well. I continue to drink lots of water!
My results--all is normal in the brain. I do not have an aneurysm. I do have some sinus disease. Maybe allergy? We are looking into it.

I thought you might want to see a picture of my brain. So here's a couple for your viewing pleasure. It has been confirmed, I have a brain! :)


2 comments:

mouser said...

Yippee!!! A brain was found!!!

Carolyn said...

COOL pictures!!!