Sunday, January 31, 2010

Current theme: Obedience

For the past month in a half, I have heard the same message preached and testimony given. Obedience--God honours obedience and He does mighty works through people that are obedient.



This brings me to my first question. How may I be obedient to Christ?

When I live by faith, I obey--I do exactly what God says, when He tells me to. True faith in God is a relationship of obedience, rooted in love, to Godhead--God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. To obey God, I must know God, and to know God, I study His word and pray. As I seek Gods will for my life, He finds me, and tells me His will; it is not a secret. The seeking is not easy and stepping out in faith--obeying Christ challenges me as well, although I have learned that God is always faithful.


1 Corinthians 3:7-8

So then neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but God who causes the growth. Now he who plants and he who waters are one; but each will receive his own reward according to his own labor.


It is God who makes things grow. I am to be obedient--planting and watering as told. This brings me to my second question--Who is sitting on the throne of my life and heart? My health? Who am I obedient to? God did not create me to sit dormant, rather He created me to glorify Him! Is my health keeping me from wanting to jump again?


And the third question. Will I serve God? Will I serve God with thanksgiving and praise? God has placed me here in San Antonio, Texas, because he wants me here. This is not for me to decide, or for me to argue with. I am to embrace where God has placed me and serve Him with thanksgiving and praise--this includes at the doctors office, in Russian class, as I tutor children, during bible study, and when I am at home. God has given me this time here.


Serving Christ in Ukraine, as I had originally thought for does not look like as planned. What I do know is that it gives God pleasure as I surrender my life to Him, and as I choose to serve Him with thanksgiving and joy. It's about being willing to have my steps redirected. This is not easy, and it is a painful process. In closing I would like to share this hymn with you. I challenge you to think about these words and how they apply to your life.


Take my Life and Let it Be

Frances, R. Havergal, February 1874


Take my life, and let it be consecrated, Lord, to Thee.

Take my moments and my days; let them flow in ceaseless praise.

Take my hands, and let them move at the impulse of Thy love.

Take my feet, and let them be swift and beautiful for Thee.


Take my voice, and let me sing always, only, for my King.

Take my lips, and let them be filled with messages from Thee.

Take my silver and my gold; not a mite would I withhold.

Take my intellect, and use every power as Thou shalt choose.


Take my will, and make it Thine; it shall be no longer mine.

Take my heart, it is Thine own; it shall be Thy royal throne.

Take my love, my Lord, I pour at Thy feet its treasure store.

Take myself, and I will be ever, only, all for Thee.

No comments: