Monday, May 03, 2010

Jesus, Thy Boundless Love to Me

This weeks opening prayer for the daily bible readings uses one of the verses in the hymn, "Jesus, Thy Boundless Love to Me." I found myself reading, and re-reading the following words...

Thine wholly, Thine alone, I'd live, myself to Thee entirely give.

This challenges me. It's not so easy to give God EVERYTHING and EVERYTHING of/about me. There are so many things in life that "get in the way" or take me off course, that I do not give myself ENTIRELY to Christ alone. How do you give yourself to Christ, each and everyday?

Our sermon on Sunday was about community. It was about giving up our freedoms to be in community with one another. We cannot say to each other, that's not my job, because it is our job. By giving ourselves to Christ, we are NOT being devalued, although, all to often, we emphasize where our rank is on the ladder, as opposed to wanting to serve others--what God has called us to do. Why do you continuously rank yourself next to others? Why do you fear being devalued? The church is to be a place where everyone is loved, honoured, respected, and cared for. It is my job to give my ENTIRE self to Thee.

1 comment:

robert said...

Great hymn--"Jesus, Thy Boundless Love to Me." And your quotation caught my eye this morning as this is the 307th anniversary of the birth of John Wesley, who translated the hymn from the original German. The whole hymn is worth a look, and you can see it on the Cyber Hymnal here...
http://www.hymntime.com/tch/htm/j/t/jtbltome.htm

If you enjoy reading about our hymns and their authors, I encourage you to check out my daily blog on the subject, Wordwise Hymns.