Thursday, September 17, 2009

Endocrinologist

Yesterday morning I went to the Endocrinologist. An Endocrinologist is a doctor who specializes in the endocrine system. The thyroid gland is part of that system, which also includes the neuroendocrine glands of the pancreas, the parathyroids, pituitary gland, ovaries, and the adrenal glands.

Before I left for Ukraine, my bloodwork tested as slightly hyperthyroid. In recent bloodworks, my thyroid has tested normal, although other things have tested out of whack! When my family doctor ordered a catecholamines test (you pee in a jug for 24 hours, and then you also have bloodwork done) the amount of epinephrine in my system turned out to be extremely high!

Due to the possible hyperthyroid, and now the high epinephrine amounts, I was sent to the endocrinologist. (I also had the MRI done on my abdominal region because of the high epinephrine amounts.) The endocrinologist ordered more bloodwork and another catecholamines test.




This is a picture of the "pee hat", my jug, and a regular sterile pee cup. I thought the "pee hat" was exciting, because it would make urinating in the jug much easier. The "pee hat" sits on the toilet, under the seat, you do your business, when you are finished, you pour, and you're done, rather than hover and aim.



Just to show some size perspective.

No comments: