Sunday, May 23, 2010

Worship well!

Last Sunday, a friend made the following statement to me, "Worship well." I wrote those words on the top of my bulletin and for the past week I have been reflecting over those words and what it means to truly worship well.

Worship is an art. In Sunday school, we were discussing rejoicing as an art form, which I agree with, but if rejoicing is an art form, and part of worship is rejoicing in Christ the King, then worship too, must be an art.

I think about the times I go to church, come home, and wonder why I ever went. And it dawns on me, I failed to worship well. The very reason I go to church is to worship God, with a community of believers, and I come home, failing to do so--why? Attitude, selfish desires, sin, pride, I don't know, but what I do know is, I should never fail to worship well, when that is the primary purpose of going to church.

One of my girlfriends, whom I love dearly, made the following statement in college, "I study as a form of worship." This has had a profound effect on my life, since she shared her testimony. I realized that worshiping God is multi-faceted, and something that I too could do with different approaches.

I worship God at home, through quiet times, playing the piano, singing, and praying. I worship God at work, by being the best teacher I can. I worship God at church in fellowship with other believers, listening to the scriptures, the sermon, and the words God is speaking to us through His servants. I worship God as I drive by memorizing scripture. I worship God by encouraging and respecting others. I think all too often, we make worship difficult, when in reality, it is an attitude, a mind set--and ours should be that of Christ Jesus. How do you worship God?

Have this attitude in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 2:5

Worship well, my friends! :)

No comments: