Saturday, August 29, 2009

Flights #2 and #3

As soon as I got off the plane in Atlanta, I walked straight to my gate. I called my Mom and told her about my first flight and told her that I was okay. I asked if I could please board early. I was told yes, and wait by the wall. I was then boarded in the middle of first class. Our plane was very large. There were TV screens at each seat and plenty of complimentary movies, games, and TV shows.

The couple I was seated next to were a blessing!
The wife had the middle seat and was excited about what I was going to be doing and where I was going. She had a bracelet that said, “Faith” on it. I told her that was my name. We continued to talk and had a wonderful plane ride together. Her husband was also quite nice. During the flight, we played plane trivia together. The three of us kind of teamed up, although, I kept one game, and her and her husband kept another. On the trivia game you played anyone who was playing, on the airplane. I won once! My new friend even high fived me!

Upon arrival, I once again, waited for people to exit the plane. I then walked straight to my gate at JFK. That was a much smaller flight, but people standing in line everywhere. I finally found some English speaking people and asked them if they were in line. After learning most people were not in line to speak to a representative, I went straight up to the counter and asked to board early. I was told, “Yes; just wait a minute, stand right in front of me.” I was the second person to board the plane. One other lady had just boarded the aircraft.

Sitting next to weird people on long flights does not equal cool. I was blessed to be sat next to a 13 year old Ukrainian girl that spoke English and Russian—and a wee bit of Ukrainian. She was nice, told me about her holiday in the USA, and did not take too much seat room! Yay! She even helped me fill out the customs and immigration form. The flight itself was fine. There were two movies on the bigger screens, the plane was much smaller than the last flight, so no nice individual screen.

Our flight was 10 hours long, but actually took 9 ½ and we were 30 minutes early, which supposedly rarely happens. Upon arrival at Kiev Bristol Airport, I was asleep, and my new little friend had to wake me up. I waited until she got off, to leave the plane; I had the window seat, and as an unaccompanied minor, she had to wait for the stewardess.

Passport control was a breeze, just a lot of waiting. I mean a lot of waiting. I was the last person to go through—Murphy’s Law of Lines applied to me! By the time I made it to baggage, the bags were no longer going around the corral; I just went and picked up my bags. And yay—all three made it!

In order to exit into the city, you go through customs control. The only thing they questioned in my bag was all my contacts. But after explaining that they were dailies and you wore them every day and then threw them away, they seemed satisfied and let me go “into the city.” When I exited the doors, I walked out, and was greeted by Dai Wysong, the headmaster at the school, and my new friend.

Walking into the city, out of the airport.

Ukrainian and English sign.

Dai Wysong and myself.

Terminal B, where I was picked up.

Parking Lot at Kyiv Borispol Airport.

No comments: